A trek down the memory lane…


            It enchants me to pin down these beautiful memories from one of my favorite treks I have had so far. A monsoon trek arranged by Indian pharmaceutical association like always was a reinvigorating one for the sake of monsoon and mountain lovers. And with great enthusiasm, the participation of students from every college was great deal of pleasance. I was relieved as the bus roared to life and the long anticipated detention was over. We finally began to track our way to enrol the path of nature. I couldn’t control my train of thoughts as I was exhilarated. And I found myself recalling the first trek I had experienced. Exuberant was the only word that came to my mind.

Trekkers group particpated in the Kothaligad, Peth trek.
After a long drive through Mumbai we arrived at the bottom of Kothaligad, Peth. We all ebulliently stepped out, to begin our journey, to fetch the path leading to the top of the hill. Just then the rain started to teem down which eventually accelerated the excitement. I could perceive a glimpse of the way at the base. We quickly went through the instructions provided by our trek leaders and without waiting any more, we started to pace the narrow path.   

Starting point of Kothaligad, Peth fort.
Sometimes the only thing you desire is to walk on an unknown path unascertained of its outcome and its impact on you, but in the end it ultimately bestows you an immense happiness of your exploration.”   I was happy that I was here, in the lap of the nature. The way up the hill was off course full of its own obstacles. It was a complete dish of raw roughness with some fresh muddy base, stirred with chopped stones, added with flavoring and coloring fresh greenery, boiled in fresh rainwater and a tincture of cold chilling air. Sounds delicious isn’t it! But the physical exertion enhanced its acerbity. 

Never the less, when you’re hungry every dish seems delicious. As I could see the waterfalls in the picturesque background I let it abduct my sorrows. There was a time when we decided to trek up through short cut avoiding the long cut. And trust me, the short cuts are much dangerous, menacing and slippery. I took deliberately cautious steps as the slippery steps elevated adrenaline rush in my veins. Fear came gushing down my heart. The last step and I was done with the shorcut. The only thing I could see is a perilous view in front of my eyes that had my legs quiver. I stood quietly looking at this panoramic beauty. Taking advantage to this with every deep breath I took I threw a pile of demoralization down the valley that had build up inside me since a long time. I was glad that I could make it up to here.

Trekking uphill Peth fort.
The miry land made it more difficult to trek. It was so miry that, at once, I got my foot stuck into the soggy mud. With great vigor and will power I continued to trek. It made me extremely ecstatic as it started to shower again with tremendous force. I felt my soul rejuvenate as I heard the most beautiful rhythm (the sound of heavy rain), the sound that suffused its charm into my soul. I couldn’t think of listening to anything else. As we kept trekking there arrived a point where our path sundered. We took an abrupt stop. Realizing there was no trek leader with us we kept walking straight. “Everyone stop” yelled a guy leading us. “There’s a dead end ahead” he said. Great! You walk all those miles in the wilderness, on the path that leads deeper into the forest and reach where? A dead end. I found that much thrilling though. With no options at hand we all decided to return back to our lunch halt.   

Peth fort can be seen above Kothaligad hill.
“Look around” I said to myself. “Just take a look around. Let the beauty of nature and the essence of monsoon engulf you. Live in these moments”. All I could see is the most alluring and magnificent from of wild forest embedded in its own mystique fog. Just like a hike in the swirling mist where the weather plays a host. I found my heart abscond beyond the dead end. As we turned to return back to the village my words kept ringing in my head. “Breath” my inner voice said. Quietly following my command, I breathed the cool shivering air, felt the showering water gush through my face. It adorned my spirit, revitalized my soul.

       A walk in the forest veiled in mist, brilliant green foliage lining the routes and waterfalls punctuating the verdant hill sides proved to be a wonderful experience.  In few of my reads, I found that the love of nature & the pursuit of the unknown have eternally drawn man to shed the comfort and security of his home to venture beyond the blue ranges on the horizon and to discover new valleys, forest, waterfalls and high mountains. The quest of mountain lovers is for the freedom of the high hills, to be at home in the high wilderness, with no barriers he cannot pass, no danger he cannot avoid with due caution and proper knowledge. I sought the essence of enjoyment as a trekker and appreciated nature’s grandeur.  It inculcates the virtues of sacrifice, the value of physical exertion, sometimes to the limit of endurance, and above all, spirit of comradeship. Trekking does not demand great strength or immense wealth but merely a desire and willingness to accept certain roughs with the smooth. Well said, isn’t it? But to my acknowledgement I would rather say, it was something to be well experienced.










Comments